SkinMedica Lytera Skin Brightening Complex Review
Dark spots from age or old acne scars, dark patches from hormones or sun exposure, they all interfere with the smooth, even-toned canvas you want your skin to be. Numerous products have been formulated to combat these examples of hyperpigmentation. They are usually separated into two categories – those with hydroquinone and those without. (Hydroquinone is a chemical ingredient proven to lighten dark spots, but it may also be connected with certain cancers, so many women choose to avoid it).
SkinMedica Lytera Skin Brightening Complex does not contain hydroquinone, but it does use a whole host of other ingredients to lighten and brighten skin. In fact, it has undergone clinical testing that’s shown improved evenness of skin tone, better overall skin appearance, increased radiance and clarity, and a minimizing of the appearance of dark patches and discolorations. Definitely worth looking into, so we did just that, and here’s what we found.
SkinMedica Lytera Skin Brightening Complex Ingredients and How They Work
One great thing about SkinMedica is that they list the active ingredients in their formulas and explain pretty effectively how they work to achieve the ultimate goal of better skin. So what’s in SkinMedica Lytera Skin Brightening Complex is:
- Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate is Vitamin C in a stable, lipid soluble ester form. Vitamin C has been shown to have multiple benefits to skin, such as lightening dark spots and fighting against free radical damage.
- Niacinamide is a form of Vitamin B3 that improves skin’s moisture content and fortifies the skin’s moisture barrier while it evens skin tone.
- Ethyl Linoleate is an essential fatty acid that evens skin tone and also supports the moisture barrier.
- Squalene is the first line of defense against moisture loss.
- Retinol is a fat soluble Vitamin A that encourages exfoliation to get rid of dry rough outer skin.
- Dunaliella Salina Extract is an antioxidant to fight against free radical damage and brighten skin.
- Hexylresorcinol brightens skin.
- Tetrapeptide-30 is a skin brightening peptide.
- 4-Ethoxybenzaldehyde evens tone and brightens skin.
- Licorice Root Extract is an antioxidant and also brightens skin.
You should apply SkinMedica Lytera Skin Brightening Complex to your face and neck all over after cleansing and before moisturizing twice a day. If lightening dark spots is your goal, probably the most important thing you can do is wear sunscreen every day, rain or shine.
SkinMedica Lytera Skin Brightening Complex Pros and Cons
Advantages of SkinMedica Lytera Skin Brightening Complex
- It’s been clinically tested and shown to work.
- It’s hydroquinone-free.
- It contains antioxidants.
Disadvantages of SkinMedica Lytera Skin Brightening Complex
- We couldn’t find any SkinMedica Lytera Skin Brightening Complex reviews from customers to see what people are saying.
- It’s expensive.
- It may cause an initial tingling.
- It’s not recommended for use if you’re pregnant, nursing, or planning to become pregnant.
Where to Buy
There are a number of ways to purchase SkinMedica Lytera Skin Brightening Complex. The SkinMedica website sells the 2 oz pump for $125. They also have a medical practice finder function on the site that directs you to a local practitioner that sells SkinMedica products. On the site as well is a list of authorized online sellers where you’ll find SkinMedica Lytera Skin Brightening Complex.
We love that SkinMedica Lytera Skin Brightening Complex has been clinically tested and shown to work. We don’t love the price. If you’re lucky enough to have the cash to spend, and you just want something that works, SkinMedica Lytera Skin Brightening Complex is a good bet. If money is tight, however, you can likely find something less expensive that works equally or almost equally well.
Read about our Top Skin Lighteners/Brighteners
I have been using Lytera for about 3 months, I have not noticed any changes for the better. I am breaking out, however, more so than usual. I am 50, so I really should be past all that!
I was using Obagi prior to Lytera, I was extremely pleased with the results I obtained with Obagi. I used it for over 9 years, I just felt I needed a change. I guess if it is not broken-don’t fix it. I will be going back to Obagi when I finish my Lytera. The Obag individual products are not as expensive as the $150.00 Lytera, and when you purchase the Obagi set (about $350.00 for all products), replacing the specific products in it is not that expensive.
I’ve been using Lytera Skin Brightening Complex since the end of Feb., 2014, on the age spots on my face. I really haven’t noticed any lightening of my spots and I am faithfully using their sunscreen every day, so can’t blame it on not using protective products . I think I should have noticed some change by now. I’ll continue to use it until it’s all gone but won’t purchase it again.